I'd like to take a minute and talk about what we went over in class today. Yeah yeah I know its not the readings but I'd like to highlight something in particular and this was stated in my last blog post on negotiation. I feel it is important that I say this and say it clearly. Integrative negotiation is important. I was touting last week about the other types of negotiation, well here it is. Looking at it closer we can see that this type of negotiation is dependent on creating value, rather than a "who can grab it first" sort of mentality. This is a more flexible way of negotiating and allows for a win win situation while negotiating. This can be helpful when trying to maintain long term relationships such as a buyer and a vendor relationship, or an employee manager relations, and even business to customer relations. This type of negotiation can occur with almost anything, and in a business situation it is sometimes important to compromise. In this type of negotiation it is important to find out what the interests of each party is. Once the interests are established then the negotiation can be initiated. Interests should most likely NOT be aligned in this case, because then it creates room for value to be created by the negotiating parties involved. In all it is a very important type of negotiation and one that can rely on keeping long term relationships together and functioning at a professional and personal level.

I think integrative negotiation is very usefully in business and in foreign policy. I think the relationships that are established through this type of negotiating out weight what every the parties are negotiating over. The relationship means something more to different parties.
ReplyDeleteI agree. When both parties' interests are addressed in the negotiation, it creates value. When both sides benefit from the deal, the value of the deal is the some of all the benefit. However, the reason most negotiations don't look for this solution is because one party usually has to give up some benefit in order for the other party to benefit.
ReplyDeleteI agree that integrative negotiation is a more useful way to negotiate. I prefer the idea of creating value while also making an attempt to benefit from the negotiation. it makes more sense to try to get the most out of the negotiation process by both parties rather than just one.
ReplyDelete