Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Theories, about theories!
I would like to start off by saying that while reading the short excerpt from Stephen Hawking's book, "A Brief History of Time" I have realized that science is an ever evolving fact finding expedition. Nothing in science or in this case Astronomy is ever really set in stone. It is all malleable and shaped through endless observations, studies, and experiments that are meant to find the truth behind why something works. This intrigues me because knowing what we know now, we can say that certain postulations about how processes worked in the past were wrong, because we know how they work now. This statement is false because in another few hundred years we may have been postulating faulty theories about processes we thought we knew about. Stephen Hawking writes about this in particular by stating that scientific theories can never be fully absolute or fully realized. This now gets a little into the realm of philosophy because it shines on the possibility that we can never truly understand or even experience anything in the universe because of the limitations of our consciousness. The void this leaves on me, of never truly knowing or understandins disturbing to me, and I hope to understand as much as I can for as long as I'm alive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment