Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wal-Mart, Hates Girls!

This article rubbed off on me in a really bad way, it highlighted for me the blatant biases that Wal-Mart has against women in its corporation. I'm aware that some people may not believe that there is a bias or that Wal-Mart is being outright discriminatory but please allow me to convince you otherwise. I'd like to start by saying that there could be more detailed information from the investigation to go on except the material we read in class, I am aware that there could always be more facts but we were handed this information and by the way the facts are point it is point to discriminatory practices. The majority of women who worked at Wal-Mart stores in management positions in 2001 were customer service managers. About 90% of women, and only about 15% were involved with the position of store management. Now here is a big discrepancy already, I see a large majority of women in a lower level management position and a disproportionate number of men above them. Now any number of factors could be at work here such as maternity leave, willingness to get promoted, etc but just from these numbers alone I find it hard to believe that they are the sole cause of the gender polarization on Wal-Marts management. Another fact I'd like to highlight is the salary difference for men and women. Wait there is a difference? Yes there is and its consistent. All through the companies employee ladder, women make less than men. At some levels it is blatant and obvious, at others it is small. However, no matter how big or small, it is still there. Now as I will reiterate to you, we don't have nearly enough info on any legal level to determine if there is in fact true discriminatory practice going on here, but from the information we do have, it certainly looks like there is discrimination going on. I will end this by putting icing on the proverbial cake. The Supreme Court of the United States of America, did NOT throw out the case because they could not prove discrimination, they threw out the case because they could not prove that the company had a comapny wide policy of discriminating against women, and thus could not try it as a class action lawsuit.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that there was discrimination by Wal-Mart even if it was done systematically. I believe it was at the discretion of the store managers. I think Wal-Mart should find out where the discrimination lawsuits are coming from and divvy out the punishment as seen fit. I find it hard to believe that the female descendants of Sam Walton would put up with this kind of discrimination.

    ReplyDelete