In this class discussion we took a look at ethics and the different ways for going about using ethics in a managerial position. Machiavellian ethics is concerned with self-interest, Lincolnian ethics is concerned with serving the boss, and Plutonian ethics is concerned with serving everyone's interest. I don't particularly like these choices. If I were to say that I am disposed to a specific area of these ethical codes, I would say that Machiavellian ethics strikes my fancy the most. I act in my own self interest most of the time, and in fact I am attending college for my own self interest as well. Most if not all of my actions have a facet to them of Machiavellian ethics. Although individually I am self interested and aligned, I do believe that a corporation with a lot of power influence and money, should have some sense of responsibility about it. It is impossible for a large corporations to have absolute responsibility over its stakeholders. It is at best responsible for half of the stakeholders, but lets not make this completely arbitrary. We should at least say that the company should be responsible for at most half of the stakeholders it would effect directly through policy and major business decisions. I am in no means a philanthropist however I do believe that companies should take a more proactive approach to responsibility and in the process accept a mixed approach in ethics when it comes to managing companies. I myself have learned to accept mixed ethics in my life. While pursuing my own self interests I have learn to put others before myself and have come to enjoy it, and benefit from it.

I agree with you. I think by putting others interest ahead of yours you are able to get more people to follow your products or company.
ReplyDeleteI agree that a mixed approach to ethics may be necessary in order to effectively and responsibly operate a business or one's personal life. I think that a reasonable balance of the three archetypes allows for greater flexibility in decision making, which may ultimately please more people since we are not living in a reality that aligns with the ideal environments necessary for any one archetype to be more effective. However, in terms of a business, this may prove to be too inconsistent, especially if a company is trying to lay a foundation with it's culture and values.
ReplyDelete