Thursday, November 17, 2011

Free Radicals

Since we didn't get to have class this week I thought I would blog about the radical article that I read as part of the readings. It is an interesting article I must say, radicals come in all forms and have a large set of ideologies to go with them. Personally I don't think I like radicalism, and the reasons for that is because it drives away compromise and it doesn't leave room for realistic views to be taken into account. A good example of the I believe was broadcast on c-span not to long ago over the summer. The two houses of congress tried to get together and sign a bill that would help decrease the debt, slash government spending and raise the taxes by eliminating loop holes and making the rich pay more. Due to the radicalism of BOTH sides, the bill failed to pass and we were left in the dark with a slight credit downgrade. So that is perhaps one example in why I think radicalism is bad. Now I will discuss an argument for radicalism. Radicalism serves a interesting role in today's society, it can be good and facilitate conversations of different issues. This is one function that I agree serves a purpose in the greater nation. Again radicals I believe are not needed on the whole but in a minority grouping in any society they can serve a productive purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment