Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Hedonism, In Theory

I'd like to take a moment and talk about the motivational theories that were discussed in class on Monday. Motivational theory I find to be interesting and applicable to the real world and thus it holds my interest. The first aspect of motivational theory we talked about really wasn't anything to complicated. That is the hedonism theory of motivation, which says that humans beings will always seek out what is pleasurable to them. In motivation this may be such a thing as a reward system that leads you to perform a certain task. The reward is the motivator and it drives the individual to feel he needs to complete the task at hand to achieve a state of well being. It seems that this first theory could be applied to almost anything in our lives. If we are forced to perform a task or job that we find unpleasant, or if the reward is not great enough we will reject it. I believe to a certain extent that hedonism is involved in all our decision making. It may take a back seat to some of the other aspects of motivation or decision making, but I believe that it is still their guiding our hand in our motivational behavior. I chose to talk about and explore hedonism because it was the theory least discussed in class. Understanding it better and how it functions in our lives may lead us to understand and make better decisions with or without it. I believe this is a important part of understanding what motivates us and how we can continue to have that motivation throughout our lives.


2 comments:

  1. I think it is important to have an understanding of what motivates us. By understanding what does motivate us, I think it will allow us to make better decisions such as what type of job to pursue. This is important considering the idea of money not necessarily being the biggest motivating factor behind our work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think that money can buy happiness. If we are forced to do something that we do not like, I don't think a bigger reward will help us complete a task that much better.

    ReplyDelete