Monday, November 14, 2011

Goates Dollars!

So our in class exercise was an interesting look into how a company functions and how important negotiation can be. I for one enjoyed the exercise despite the lack of organization and structure. I was a low level employee and I had to come up with slogans touting the importance of managers and how they "rule the world". I myself came up with three slogans that I thought no one else would think of and I believed I succeeded. My manager I thought lead the team quite well. She really took charge and told us what was going on even though she took a little while in the beginning. The only area I thought she could improve upon was the negotiation aspect of the exercise. I felt that she was not aggressive enough when negotiating out a deal. If she had been more aggressive I believe that we would have walked away with more money. In another aspect of contributing to the lack of money collected, I believe was our timing of the presentation. Some other groups beat us to the punch and captured the time of the executives more than us and some other groups. I believe we may have had the superior product but since other teams had more capable negotiators and were able to beat us to the "board room" that we got shorted on the amount of money we could have made.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with your opinions on this exercise. I enjoyed it as well, even though at first I felt it was a bit disorganized. This could have just been our lack of understanding though, or our lack of following the rules at least. I know some of the bottom groups decided to leave their areas even though they weren't suppose to. It took the middle groups a bit long to negotiate, but after we finally found out what we needed to do, it was better than because we were all able to be involved rather than sitting in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this could have been a really entertaining exercise if it wasn't for how disorganized my group was. It seemed like we were the last to find out about anything, we were secluded from the other lower level groups, and our middle manager did not seem to understand what was being presented either, mentioning that we would be rewarded for better font designs, etc. In the end, we didn't receive a single Goates Buck.

    ReplyDelete