Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Magical Motivations!

So while examining the magic cable case in class. It dawned on me that a lot of different methods could be used to evaluate one situation in terms of motivation. This is an average garden variety issue for people job hopping and being able to identify and analyze their motivations is key to understanding what drives them. I really liked this exercise because it showed me motivations that I would not have otherwise seen. In knowing these theories and the situations they can be applied to it can helpful within my own life as well. Taking the hertzbergs theory of motivation for a minute. Lets apply this to my college life and see what we get. Motivators for this theory inclde challenging work. Seeing as how I am double major I a definitely challenging myself to do the very best I can under such conditions. I have been participating in many clubs here at ship and that investment gives me a sense of responsibility, especially when I am elected to leadership positions within that organization. Some hygiene factors would be my status as a student, it is something that is basic when you are attending college. Another hygiene factor would be the level of work I am assigned. If I am assigned a low level of work I may become demotivated to do anything else or to do the assignments well. Using these theories within our own lives as evaluative tools can be crucial to seeing our motivations through objective eyes. I think this is something that I will use going forward for myself and others along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I agree I found this example and exercise very beneficial. It can be very easily applied to our daily lives, like you said. You can then see what helps motivate you, and what dissatisfies you. This can then help you realize what you should continue in, or what you may want to change or work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the connections that you made to your college experience. There are many different factors we encounter that have an impact on our motivation. for me, my motivation varies significantly from one class to another and I think that this can be explained through the things we have been discussing in class.

    ReplyDelete